Monday, January 7, 2008

The wagon


Our sleep schedule is a little off here at the beach. The kids slept in, kind of. Gus got up a few times during the night and Lucy went to bed really late. 8:30 still felt early, even though it's about two hours later than their usual wake-up time. We just laid around the condo this morning with no agenda. It's so great to not maintain a spotless-ready-to-show-house.

I didn't bring the double stroller to the beach, mainly out of fear for the kid who has to sit in front. I know Lucy and Gus would sit behind the other kid and pull his/her hair. It would be a nightmare. My two other strollers don't do great in the sand, plus it would be a mess to clean up. Our jogging stroller had a flat tire (I think the tire needs to be replaced), so we left that at home, along with the baby bjorn. What was I thinking? We didn't have a way to contain Gus on the beach. So the three of us (me, Lucy, and Gus) went out to find something that would work. We had so much fun in the stores. We finally decided on a wagon. Wagons have come a long way since I was a kid! Now they're heavy-duty plastic with benches, storage, doors, safety belts, and cup holders. We decided to get a green wagon. Dave and I thought that they could use it at home, too, especially when they're a bit older. We both LOVED our wagons growing up. We got the wagon and I put the kids down for their nap. I called down to the front desk and maintenance brought me the tools I needed to assemble the wagon within five minutes of me calling down there. The guy even came back to pick them up. Brilliant.

Mom, Jim, and I took the kids down to the beach in the wagon. They loved it! Gus was a riot. When it would start to get a bit bumpy he would put his arm up in the air, like he was riding a roller coaster. The kids face each other in the wagon, so no hair pulling. Gus was a little sneak, and was constantly after Lucy's sippy cup, even though he had his own. Lucy got out and walked some, but Gus was perfectly content sitting in the wagon. Tomorrow it's supposed to be 73 and sunny, we'll be out again in our snazzy green wagon. Woo-hoo!

Gus is still trying to walk. He's so cute and so tiny! He's really good at walking sideways. Still only about eight steps at a time. He can't get up without having something to pull up on. He really wants to figure it out.

Lucy has been a riot with her little comments. Tonight she asked for some yogurt. I had the remains of her third yogurt today in the fridge (she's been hungrier than a horse the past three days) and handed it to her. She took one look at it and said "It's not puhfect (perfect), Mommy." She smiled and ate it anyway. Dave finished his donut or something on Sunday and she said, "Good boy, Daddy. High sive (five)." I love hearing her utilize the phrases she hears us say all the time. Most of the time she fits them in appropriately. They all sound so silly coming from a really little girl.

No comments: