Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Oh Pickles!

Well, the worst wasn't over. Gus threw up three times in a row on Friday night all over Dave. He was soaked! Gus had a fever on Saturday. Dave went to church and I stayed home with the kids on Sunday morning. Dave stayed home for the open house while the rest of us went out shopping for Dave's birthday present. 11 people came to the open house! Everybody seemed to really like the house, but still no offers. Dave and I both woke up in the middle of the night feeling really sick, like there was a big brick of ick in our bellies. Thank goodness Dave had Monday off. I was out of it most of yesterday. Dave was a life saver and took care of everything, even though he wasn't feeling great. We thought for sure the kids were feeling better. Not so much. Around 5 last night Gus threw up all over the kitchen floor (another easy clean-up). This morning Dave went into Lucy's room and she handed him her bucket and said "Wook Daddy, I swo (throw) up in bucket!" I was so grateful that she was able to actually make it into the bucket! Even though the kids have been throwing up, they've done it in all the right places (not on the carpet or furniture), which makes house-showing a bit easier.

Lucy was supposed to brings snacks to pre-school and be helper for the week. The last thing I wanted to do this morning is put Lucy in the car to take the snacks to school. I was terrified of her getting sick in the car and then I'd have to clean it up and it is very cold here (not Midwest cold, North Carolina cold, but my blood is super thin these days). So my mom braved the rain and subsequent ice (people do not know how to drive in the snow and ice down here!) to come get the snacks from our front porch to take to Lucy's pre-school. I was so glad!

Lucy had a turkey sandwich with mustard and pickles for lunch. It sounds gross to me, but she really wanted to eat. She took the sandwich apart, ate the turkey, licked the mustard off the bread, and ate all the pickles. There were at least 10 pickles on that sandwich. About 20 minutes later she came up to me and said, "I eat pickowes in my mouse (mouth)." I said "Oh, you can still taste the pickles in your mouth from your sandwich?" She said, " YES! Yummm!" So she likes her pickle aftertaste! Ugh!

Gus has figured out that he can eat the side of his crib and if he chews on it, the paint will come off. Gotta love it. I went to get him after his nap this morning and there were little white paint chips on him. The paint is non-toxic. The crib was made in Indiana, not China, so I don't think he has lead poisoning. His teeth seem to be serving him well. I'll have to pull out the anti-crib-biting plastic things.

It looks like we'll be isolated for the next few days. Thursday will hopefully be our big day out in the world again. If Lucy is feeling better, she'll go to school on Thursday. Dave's birthday is also on Thursday and we're hoping to go out sans the kids. What a dream that would be!

No comments: