Tuesday, January 15, 2008

The Musical Pantry

We ended up coming home from the beach last Thursday night. We had a REALLY rough night on Wednesday, so we decided to come home a day early. When I told Lucy that we were going to go home to see Daddy she said, "Daddy! I wuv (love) him!" Gus was very excited, too, and for the first ten minutes of the car ride he said "Dada! Daaaadaaa! Dada!"

We had two more groups look at the house on Saturday and another guy look last night. The guy last night said "I'm sold!" multiple times and wondered why we weren't asking more. We like him! He wants to bring more people back to look at the house. We're hoping!

The kids love the pantry these days. Lucy breaks in and pulls the canisters out to play drums on them. Gus, of course, follows her to do the same thing. It was Lucy's turn to play with the canisters, so Gus grabbed the raisin packages to shake. It was quieter than usual for about 30 seconds and I looked over and Gus was sitting with his back facing me and had managed to open one of the raisin boxes and eat the raisins! I've been tearing apart raisins for him, but I guess he can have them whole without any problems. So I sat him in his chair to eat the raisins. He was such a happy camper!

Gus loves playing peek-a-boo. It doesn't get old for him at all. He'll take any object, literally, and put it behind his head to play peek-a-boo. I ask, "Where's the raisin box?" And then he'll put it behind his head for about three seconds and then move it above his head with this big grin. He's such a charmer!

Lucy is still repeating everything she hears and using it in her conversations. At dinner the other night Dave leaned over and took a sip of my soda. She said "Aw (are) you kidding me? That's Mommy's!" And then on Sunday I took a sip of her drink while she was eating her lunch (she had to eat more before she could drink more) and she piped up with "Aw you kidding me?" Lucy has been responding affirmatively lately with "Yes!" or "Oh Yes!" Sometimes even "Yes Suh" or "Yes Ma'am." She doesn't always get the gender right (sometimes I'm the sir). Very sweet! She says it with such gusto. We were in Target on Sunday and there was a shelf that Lucy wanted to walk on (it was in the back of the store with no shelves above it, clearly they were in the middle of a floor set change). She said "Mistoe Dave hewp (help) me pweese (please)." We told her again that Daddy should be called Daddy or Daddio, not Dave or Love or Mr. Dave.

Our Bible Study got moved to Monday nights. It feels like Wednesday to me today instead of Tuesday. Lucy was really excited to go. She prepped me on how it would all go down. "Heuh's the stowy Mommy. Go Bwaden Ian's house. Wucy pway upstahhs. Mommy Daddy downstahhs. All done Wucy get a sucker!" (Translated: Here's the story Mommy. We're going to go to Brayden and Ian's house. Lucy will play upstairs. Mommy and Daddy will stay downstairs. When it's over I'll get a sucker.) She was as good as gold! We didn't have a sucker, but M&Ms worked just fine. Some of the other parents have been bribing with M&Ms, too. The kids were great last night! We're well aware that bribing our children for candy is probably not the best parenting method, but it's worth it for an hour of peace and grown-up time.

We have two more play dates, one more school day, and play time with Mama and Papa planned for the rest of the week. I have Lucy's first parent-teacher conference on Friday morning. I can't wait to hear what Ms. Eileen has to say about our little Lucy LaRue.

No comments: