Monday, May 4, 2009

The Result of One Question

Last week Lucy was talking to Travis and asked him when he would come visit. She said, "Why don't you come this weekend?" He explained he had plans to go to the Kentucky Derby, a horse race. Lucy's eyes lit up. She loves horses. So we started talking about the Kentucky Derby and how the women wear really big fancy hats and people drink mint juleps. Well, one thing led to another, and before you know it we were planning a Kentucky Derby party. My mom went to the dollar store and got the two of us hats. We made mint juleps and tea sandwiches. Mom made Derby pies. And our neighbors, Ted and Darlene, brought chocolate covered strawberries. We had a fine Kentucky Derby party.

The biggest disappointment for us (me and Dave) was the taste of a mint julep. It sounds so fabulous, like what a terrific drink to sip on while wearing a big 'ole hat and watching a horse race, but it's not. Mint juleps remind me of the Petrified Forest and hearts. I really thought the Petrified Forest would be an actual forest, not so much. I was so disappointed when I found out that it's just little pieces of logs scattered about the desert. And I thought the human heart was heart-shaped, and it's not. Once every 10 years I have a colossal misconception and HUGE disappointment about something, and mint juleps happen to be that for this decade.

Lucy loves parties. Seriously, it's a bit ridiculous how much she loves to celebrate. We had a birth day party for Judson when we came home from the hospital (we forgot to do it at the hospital, since he came a bit earlier than expected). She helped me make the cake. It was just a simple lemon bundt cake, in the shape of a zero, because he's zero years old. She made him a card and saved her balloons from Harris Teeter that day to decorate for the party. I just have this fear of her being in therapy when she's my age talking to her therapist about this pressure she feels to have a party for every little occasion. She's going to think she's supposed to, because we did while she was growing up. And then I'm going to have to explain to her the only reason we had parties ALL THE TIME was because she loved parties and loved celebrating. And then she's going to tell me she grew out of it when she was four, and wonder why didn't I pick up on that. Meanwhile, we're going to party hard!

No comments: