Sunday, March 25, 2012

T-Ball

That's right, folks, we have entered into the t-ball stage of our lives. Super YAY! Morrisville has a town league, but you can't register until two weeks after the Morrisville residents. And it's crazy competitive. I got up early and registered Gus at 6am. He got it. We got the team assignments a few weeks ago. The team names are all MLB team names. We were in the Dr's office for Judson, I think, I don't know, it was when we were going to the Dr. almost every day for someone, when I told Gus he was on the Tigers. I thought it would be good conversation to pass the time. He bowed his head and started crying. The silent cry. Not the silent cry for five seconds and then the big scream. The really, gut-wrenching, silent cry where he bows his head and can barely lift it up because he is so desperately heart-broken cry. Ughh. After about two minutes. No joke. He looked at me, with his tear-filled eyes, and said, "Mommy I root for the Orioles. I cannot play for the Tigers. I will not play t-ball." I could have not been more proud and more sad at the same time! I love how loyal Gus is. It's one of my most favorite things about him. He roots for the Orioles and he would rather not play something that he's been dreaming about for over a year if it means betraying his team. But then, I was so sad seeing his sweet little heart break. Helping him find a middle ground was really, really, really hard. It took a day. Seriously. I talked him through it. Dave talked him through it. He understands that it's not real MLB baseball, that it's just a random team name, and no one got to choose their team.
So his first t-ball practice was last Saturday. On Friday night we took him to pick out cleats and a glove. He was so proud and so excited. Dave was, too. We even got him some Big League Chew for the morning of baseball practice. Gus still was not over the whole Tigers bit and INSISTED on wearing his Orioles jersey and shorts. The outfit is a 2T. The crazy thing is that it's not way too small, just a little snug. His t-shirt did not hang out under the jersey, and the shorts weren't more than an inch over his knees, so we thought it was okay. He did great! He had another practice Friday night. He's loving it and so are we!

No comments: