Friday, April 25, 2008

Caterpillars

The kids and I went outside yesterday afternoon and there were a ton of fuzzy caterpillars. It was like there was a little colony on our cul-de-sac. As we walked up the street, there were fewer and fewer caterpillars. Anyway, I helped Gus touch one. The caterpillar curled up around his finger. And he guffawed. Lately when Gus laughs he squeaks, it was too cute. We spent the next half hour walking on the road to touch caterpillars. Lucy didn't want to touch them, but she would find them for Gus. He picked a few up, and probably would have eaten them if I wasn't watching. He's sneaky like that. Gus especially loves being outside. He's all boy.

We finally have grass in our front yard, the most we've ever had since we've lived here. So much grass that Gus came in with grass stains on his pants! I was thrilled! I've been wanting grass in our front yard for so long. This year Dave's thumb got really green, he worked his magic, and voila, there is grass in the majority of our front yard. I have Shout, so I can handle grass stains and caterpillar guts.

Matching socks at our house is not a problem, the dryer doesn't eat them here. However, the floors do eat pacifiers. We are ALWAYS looking for pacifiers. We buy a few every month, but somehow they get lost. The other day I was thinking about how I find Gus' pacifiers on the floor in obscure places all the time. In one afternoon I found three different pacifiers on the floor on all three different levels of the house. Instead of looking in obvious places, we need to start looking in the deepest nook and cranny to find a pacifier. It's a good thing I keep up with the floors, otherwise we would never find them! Crazy.

Our backyard is coming along. The guy we contracted to do it is terrific, and relatively inexpensive. He brought in 45,000 pounds of dirt last Thursday and worked ALL day. He filled in the creek bed and planned on coming back with an excavator to dig it properly last Saturday or Monday. He tore his rotator cuff in his shoulder, and it rained, so he couldn't come back until today. He dug a two foot trench the entire stretch of our property line (at least 150 feet). It's gorgeous! Well, as gorgeous as dirt trenches can be. He's coming back late next week to bring another 23,000 pounds of dirt and finish grading. We want the dirt to dry out and it's supposed to rain for a few days. He's put a ton of time into our property and isn't charging us a dime more. Love it! If anyone needs an excavator/grader/bobcat extraordinaire, we've got the guy for you!

No comments: