We've started potty training with Lucy. We're making a very weak attempt at it, but she's starting to get the idea. I have dreaded this stage of parenting for so long. Lucy hates this whole thing just as much as I do. Maybe she's like a dog and can sense fear? A week and a half ago I decided that we would put her in panties and just try to go cold turkey. She screamed bloody murder and wailed, "NO MOMMY TWOMAHWOAH (tomorrow). I want to wayuh (wear) my diapuh (diaper) NOW." I insisted she put her JoJo panties on. She wet her pants five times, but ended up going potty on the toilet four times in seven hours. It about killed us both. Lucy begged for her diaper all morning. I let her wear a diaper during nap time and left it on when we ran out to run a few errands. While we were out she puked all over everything in the van, again. She ended up having diarrhea for a few days and shared the bug with Gus. I decided I couldn't handle potty training boot camp and that we would take it slow.
I went Target and got her a boat load of prizes for going potty and poopies on the toilet. She also gets one sucker for potty, two for poopies. Lucy really wanted frog rain boots at Target, those were the poopies prizes, only one boot at a time, though. She went poopies on the toilet last Sunday and she got her first frog boot. Lucy would walk around the house with one boot for a week and a half until she went again today. Hilarious. She's been going on the potty at least once a day now, which is nice.
Lucy has to ease into things. I just want to to get things done and over with, but that's not her way and it's about the least effective approach to take with her. I feel so silly when I step back and look at the big picture. I want things to be done a certain way, but it just doesn't work with Lucy. I could force it and make it work, but there would be big battles and a serious rift between us. It's not worth it. It's better to bend on the how-it's-going-to-happen and pick the more important battles, like not hammering your brother's head.
No comments:
Post a Comment