Monday, October 12, 2009

Farm Day

Our friend Emily had her third birthday party at a gourd farm. It was such a great fall party and the weather was perfect. The farm was a real farm, dirt and all. Last year we went to this really commercial farm with sidewalks, we couldn't even smell the goats chickens. This farm had smells. It was wonderful! Judson got to go on his first hay rack ride. There was a five year old little girl sitting next to me and Judson and all of the sudden she jumped. I looked down and realized Judson spit up all down her leg and into her boot. Poor girl. She's an only child, so she really doesn't understand the hazards of babies. We felt horrible, but what do you do? I tried wiping it up as much as I could.

I was able to get a few pictures of the kids with pumpkins. I've resigned myself to the fact that I won't get a picture with everyone smiling and looking at the camera. We all ate lunch at the party. The kids loved the food and ate all of their meal, always a plus.

The kids got pumpkins and got to decorate them at the party. It took Gus all of two minutes, while Lucy was paying attention to every detail and would still be there if we let her. Lucy also got her face painted. That girl loves getting her face painted! Gus wasn't too interested.

Lucy and Gus also got to ride Sally the donkey. I cannot even begin to tell you how scared I was. Gus went first. The lady plopped Gus up on Sally, LET GO, and took the reins in front of Sally to walk her around in a circle. No one was hanging on to my sweet 23 pound boy! No one! His legs did not even come close to fitting in the stirrups. AND his head seemed incredibly far from the ground. He hung on tight and acted like he knew exactly what he was doing. Happy does not even begin describe Gus' emotions. He was so proud of himself.

Lucy wanted to wear a dress to Emily's party, but I told her there would be donkey rides and she probably should wear jeans. She conceded much quicker than I thought she would. Anyway, she saw how great Gus did riding Sally, and she wanted to be as fearless. Inside, though, she was shaking in her Crocs. She loosened up a bit by the end of her ride. So precious.

After the party, my mom came over and watched the kids so Dave and I could go on a date. Our first date without any kids since Judson was born. We went to Chapel Hill and had a great lunch. We took the scenic way home to avoid game day traffic, it was so beautiful. It was a good, good day.

No comments: