Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Television Education

Our kids are talking non-stop. No idea where they get that from. Lucy's vocabulary and knowledge continues to amaze us. Lucy has been really into drawing lately. She's starting to write letters and actually draw more than circles. She's drawn snowmen, oceans, trees, flowers, suns, rain, and clouds. We can actually tell what it is! On Sunday night she drew a flower and Dave asked her if he could help her by putting a leaf on the stem. He drew a big green leaf and Lucy looked at him and said, "Daddy that looks like a chrysalis. A beautiful butterfly will come out of it." We just looked at each other, a bit shocked that she knew what a chrysalis was, and that she used it in the right context. Dave asked her where she learned about a chrysalis and she said, "Blue's Clues." Of course.

The other night Lucy asked me and Gus if we would play orchestra with her. Both kids love the orchestra episode of Jack's Big Music Show. She said she wanted to be the conductor, and me and Gus would play the instruments. She looked at me and told me that I would be playing the violin. She went to the other room and pulled out a pretend violin. I started playing, she looked at me like I was crazy, and said, "Mommy I didn't give you the bow yet." Right. After about five minutes, my violin playing got a little out of hand. She said, "If you can't follow the conductor, I will take your violin away." She took it away from me. She took the bow, too. Then Lucy told me that I had to play the tuba instead. Nobody really likes the tuba. Gus followed right along with the whole bit. He played his instrument when he was instructed (I wish I could remember what she assigned him). She kept telling him, "Good job Gus."

Our favorite family TV show is Charlie and Lola. We watched the episode last night where Lola invents her own country, Lolaland. So right now, Lucy is packing for our trip to Lucyland. She even got out a "map" and showed me where Lucyland was. Gus is packing, too. I'm curious to see what goes on in Lucyland. I'm going to ask her who the president is. That should be funny. Off to Lucyland!

1 comment:

AJG said...

Um, your child is smarter than me. I have no idea what a chrysalis is.

Sad, but true :)