Tuesday, October 21, 2008

The Beginnings of Fall

Last week was unseasonably warm in the 80s, but this past weekend it was in the 60s. Saturday was the first day it finally felt like fall. My parents watched the kids on Saturday afternoon while we went over to our friends' house. They have a sweet 11-week old baby. It was so great having uninterrupted adult conversation for four hours! I was the last one to finish my meal, which never happens. I think I was savoring every bite, enjoying the fact that I didn't prepare the meal, and I could eat it without having to get up once. Such a simple pleasure.

Lucy is 100% potty trained! She hasn't worn a pull-up to bed in about a month. She gets up and goes to the bathroom in the middle of the night if she needs to. When she needs to go potty or poopies she'll stop everything she's doing and yell, "POTTY!" and start running for the bathroom. Gus has picked up on this whole bit, too. So he'll yell "POTTY!" and take off his pants. Then he starts heading for the bathroom. We sit him on the potty, but nothing happens. He asks to wipe and wash his hands. I think the hand washing is the big draw for him. I took his clothes off after breakfast last week (always the messiest meal of the day), he yelled, "POTTY!" and went up stairs. I looked and he had his diaper half-off, making his way to the bathroom. Hilarious!

Lucy went to a friend's birthday party on Sunday afternoon. After the party she wanted to watch Bedknobs and Broomsticks in our room. I went downstairs for a few minutes and by the the time I came back upstairs she had fallen asleep. She can get on our bed easily, but instead she fell asleep on the floor using the dust ruffle as a cover. I moved her to the bed and gave her a real blanket and pillow.

The kids were coming up the stairs on Sunday yelling, "MOMMY!" Gus took his hat off and had horrible hat head. He looks a bit like Einstein. We were getting the kids ready for bed and Lucy said to me, "Lucy can you hand me my dolly." I did without thinking and realized that this whole pretending Lucy to be mommy and me being Lucy business had to stop, it's gotten out of hand! I respond to her name without even thinking about it. I worked hard for the name Mommy. So I told her that she needed to call me Mommy. She said, "That's okay, there can be two Mommies." I didn't know what to say. Dave and I just laughed. The kids have been so much fun lately.

No comments: