Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Trouble

My friend Kristin has been saying for months, "That Gus McKay is Truh-BULL!" She has a bit of a southern accent and puts emphasis on the "UBLE" of trouble. She always says it with a smile, and is joking, kind of. It's so true, though! He's into everything and feisty. He was such a laid back easy baby, but now, he's trouble on two legs. It's not just Lucy he terrorizes, it's all of us. He's constantly pulling things out of drawers and cabinets. He wanders the house on his own now, lurking, waiting to strike. He waits for the most opportune time when he thinks we're not paying attention. He's even got in for Aggie cat. He tried taking off a fistful of fur from her back. Gus keeps trying to pull her tail off, he even stepped on it yesterday. That poor, poor cat. It's a good thing she doesn't have claws, although claws might help him learn about kindness a bit faster.

Lucy has been really into building towers and castles with blocks. She loves making expansive castles. She's not into the vertical building as much as she wants to cover the most space possible with a few turrets here and there. Gus thinks it's his mission to knock down every tower she builds. He's so sneaky, too. He'll lure her away and while she's not looking, he runs back and knocks it down. We're trying so hard to be consistent and not let him get away with it, but he's quick! And cute. Trouble. Today Lucy was having a picnic with her baby (aka Elmo, there's a different baby every day). She had me lay out the blanket for her. I went to check on something in the kitchen and I heard both kids laughing hysterically, you know, the contagious giggles. I went to see what was happening and Gus climbed on Lucy's back. They both thought it was a riot. Gus even smiled for the camera. I used to think Gus was so tolerant of Lucy, and really admired how he didn't get annoyed with her, but now I think it's the other way around. I'm glad they enjoy each other's company.

No comments: