Saturday, February 19, 2011

Toothy Luthy

When Lucy was a baby and her teeth were coming in she was a mess. Well, we all were a big mess, because she was such a mess. She cried and cried and cried. The only thing that helped was Luigi's Italian ice. One night all three of us were up with her in the middle of the night and Dave wrote a poem about Lucy getting her teeth and it was entitled, "Toothy Luthy."

Fast forward five years and our little girl is losing her teeth! It does not seem possible. Her two bottom front teeth were loose. Then her new two front bottom teeth started coming in. So she had four teeth where only two should be.

They were super wiggly on January 9th. She asked for an apple because she thought they might come out when she bit down. They didn't. I said, "Just pull it, Lucy. Pull hard, it should come out." So she did and the tooth came out after a few tugs. I was weak in the knees. She was so incredibly proud of herself. As she should be. The other was not as loose, but she worked on it for a few minutes and pulled that one, too.
Lucy was so excited about the tooth fairy coming. We had no idea what the going rate was for teeth these days. I got 25 cents a tooth and 50 cents per molar. Even though I knew the tooth fairy wasn't real, I still got money! Lucy asked, "Mommy, can I have some benedryl because I do NOT want to wake up when the tooth fairy comes." I love that she doesn't want surprises spoiled! The tooth fairy gives 50 cents per tooth at our house. Lucy ended up with four quarters, and did the math immediately, "50 cents a tooth!"
The next day happened to be our six month dental appointment. Which worked out great for us. The dentist was so impressed with her and thought the teeth had been out for awhile. So far we don't have any more loose teeth.

No comments: