On Monday I had to run out and get a few things. One of the things I needed was foundation. Over the weekend Gus decided to break into my make-up bag (he had to do some serious climbing to get it) and put foundation all over his entire face. He didn't get any on his shirt, just on his face and hands. The boy has great manual dexterity.
Anyway, I didn't want to brave the mall by myself a few days before Christmas with three little kids. My mom came with and sat in the van while I ran in and out getting my errands done. I didn't think Lucy would be getting out so I let her wear her light up Cinderella shoes that are at least two sizes too big. The boys had fallen asleep and Lucy was wide awake. She asked if she could come in with me and I said "sure," forgetting that she had her Cinderella dress-up shoes on. It took forever to make it through the parking lot with her clippity-clopping shoes. As we were about to cross the street to enter the store/mall a car drove by, it was about five feet from Lucy. She yelled, "WHAT ARE THEY THINKING? That car could have hit me!" I explained that she was fine, that's why we stopped, to let the cars pass by. We crossed the "street" and got to the sidewalk in front of the store and Lucy yells again, "WHAT IS SHE THINKING? That lady put a candle in her mouth and put fire on it!" I tried so hard not to laugh. The lady looked back and we just kept walking, slowly, clippity-clopping along. I didn't know how to explain cigarettes at that moment, so I just shushed her. Then an African-American couple walks in ahead of us. Lucy has started to notice that people from different countries look differently than she does. She has friends from China and India, and has recently commented that someone looks Indian or Chinese. She yells, again, "WHAT ARE THEY THINKING?" I braced myself for impact, I had no idea what was going to come out of that little girl's mouth. "They are matching! Why would they match?" The couple was wearing jeans, white shirts, and black leather jackets. I breathed a big sigh of relief. She started to say something again when we walked in the store and I looked at her and said, "Do you want people to start talking about you? I'm sure people are looking at you and saying, 'What is SHE thinking? She's wearing too big clippity-cloppity shoes that don't match her outfit.'" Lucy laughed and said, "I like my shoes, they are a bit loud, though." She stopped commenting after that. Thank goodness!
Wednesday, December 23, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment