Lucy was thrilled with anticipation. Gus was excited, but very hesitant. We have been talking about pre-school all summer long. We talked it up a lot to Gus. He knew his teachers would be Ms. Eileen and Ms. Sandra, that he would dance, have snack, play outside, and say the Pledge of Allegiance. By Tuesday morning Gus could say the Pledge of Allegiance all by himself. It's so sweet.On a separate note, Gus was VERY attached to his pacifier. Seriously attached. We tried hiding it, taking it away, and only letting him have it during sleep times. Gus is sneaky. VERY sneaky. He climbs, too. So it became a battle of wills. He would find pacifiers and stash them around the house when weren't looking. He would somehow always appear with a pacifier in his mouth. I was done with it. Two weeks ago we told Gus that the pacifier-fairy was going to come and take all his pacifiers away while he was at school, because once you go to pre-school you are officially a big boy. He was kind of excited that the pacifier fairy might leave him something like the tooth fairy does. So we explained he would trade his pacifiers for something with the pacifier fairy.
The first morning of school was a bit stressful. Dave helped as much as he could until he went to work. I got the kids ready, took pictures, gathered up the pacifiers with Gus and set them on the island, and got the house together (our house is still on the market, so EVERY time we leave it has to be perfect), all by 8:45.
When we got to school, Gus started to get a little scared. We tried taking him first, but he started second guessing the whole thing. So he went with me to walk Lucy to her class. The girl could not wait to be in her class. She loves her teacher and has wanted to be in her class since she was in Gus' class. I walked Gus back to his classroom and he went in without crying. Ms. Eileen and Ms. Sandra did an excellent job distracting him!
I came home with Judson and put him down for his nap. The house was so quiet and big and wonderful. I folded laundry. I listened to the hum of the washer and dryer and folded without anyone ruining my piles. It was a beautiful thing!
Dave came home and we went to pick up the kids together. I love the conversations in the van after school. Gus said, "I pay Pahkuh. He my favuh-it best hoe wuhd" (I play with Parker. He's my favorite best in the whole world). He loved his snack, too. Lucy played with her best friend Megan and had a fabulous time as well. Then we went to Dairy Queen for our 3rd annual first day of pre-school lunch.When we came home the pacifier fairy had come, took Gus' pacifiers, and left him chapstick and gum. He was thrilled until nap time. The nap didn't happen, which made for a very long day. I long for nap time. I can usually get all three kids down for about 30 minutes at the same time. I need those moments of quiet. Bed time was pretty difficult, too. By Friday, Gus and I both nearly lost our minds. The boy would NOT sleep. So then he was very cranky. His lack of sleep also amplified his sneakiness. On Saturday afternoon Dave and I sat outside his door and put him back in bed every time he got out. We did the same thing on Sunday. On Monday he took a nap perfectly! All is right with the world again, and Gus does not need his pacifier!
No comments:
Post a Comment