Monday, March 9, 2009

30

On Saturday I turned 30. I have been dreading this birthday. For some reason, in my mind, I feel like I have to officially turn in my kid card and be a grown-up. Not that being married, having 2.8 kids, owning a home, and driving a mini-van doesn't come with enough adult responsibilities. Being eight months pregnant does not make me feel young, either.

Dave and the kids gave me cards on Saturday morning. I really didn't want presents, but Dave surprised me with a gift card to the spa. So sweet. The four of us went out to brunch. The kids were really good while we were out. Gus devoured his blueberry pancake. I love breakfast foods and cannot get enough while I'm pregnant. We came home, put the kids down for a nap, and then Dave and I caught up on our DVR.

The big event for my birthday was going to high tea at the Carolina Inn in Chapel Hill with some of my girlfriends. The weather was gorgeous and we were seated outside under the pergola. The lady who served our tea, who probably has some fancy title, was terrific. She selects all the teas, makes the tea menus, and knows the farmers who grow the tea. She reminded me of a lady at Disney World, like in Epcot. She made comments like, "I'll bring out the scones when your tea is done steeping in the wings." It was such a treat to go out with my friends, they all make being a young 30 something look fabulous. I'm so grateful to have such good friends.

On Sunday after church mom and Jim took us all out to the Cheesecake Factory for brunch. The French Toast Napoleon was divine. I'd been thinking about it for weeks.

My birthday could not have been better. It was perfect, a great way to usher in a new decade.

No comments: