
I scheduled a dentist appointment for me and Lucy in May for November, but we all had really bad colds, and couldn't go. The dentist's office called on Wednesday asking if we could come in Thursday morning (the next available appointment for us was in February). I told the receptionist I would have to bring in Gus, too, and she assured me it would all work out. I have never taken both kids to an appointment for me. Lucy was thrilled to go, Gus didn't know what to expect, and I was terrified.

I put Gus in the stroller and they had a little yellow plastic chair for Lucy to sit in while I got my teeth cleaned. Gus played with the Magna Doodle and Lucy just sat and talked with the hygienist, Ms. Kay. Gus would finish a picture and say, "Ta-Dahhhh!" and Lucy walked over to him every time and said, "That's bea-u-tiful Gus!" They were perfect. The dentist came in and commented on how well behaved my kids were. I was flabberghasted. I couldn't believe the whole appointment was going well!

Gus got out of the stroller while it was Lucy's turn in the dentist's chair. He was great! Ms. Kay showed Lucy all the tools that she would use in her mouth. Then she asked Lucy if she needed to borrow sunglasses because the light was really bright. I had Lucy's sunglasses in my purse, so she wore them for the cleaning and the exam. Lucy was so incredibly brave. She was able to have her teeth scaled and brushed. She didn't complain once. Then Dr. Wayne came in and Lucy was so still and attentive. Dr. Wayne pulled me aside while the kids were playing with Ms. Kay and asked if she sucked her thumb. Her two top front teeth are starting to stick out and it's affecting her bite. He told me that I need to get her to stop sucking her thumb, that she might need braces if she doesn't stop. Then he sat down with Lucy to talk to her about two things (he was very serious and looked her in the eye): brushing her teeth twice a day (which she does most days) and she needed to stop sucking her thumb. Her chin started to quiver when he said that. He asked if she had any questions. She said, "My Mommy and Daddy give me great food. Then my teeth get dirty. Then I brush them. I want to suck my thumb." Dr. Wayne told her she could stop sucking her thumb and that she was a great patient. Then he turned to me. I looked at him, completely befuddled, and said, "How am I supposed to do that?" He said, "You'll find your own way." What? I remember very clearly how difficult it was for me to stop sucking my thumb when I was six and now I have to ask my daughter to do the same thing? I think I still have the Transformer my mom bribed me with to get me to stop sucking my thumb. I remember crying at night because it was so hard, and now sweet little Lucy has to go through this. On the way out Lucy said a few times, "That is not a good idea. I do NOT want to stop sucking my thumb. It's not fair!" I told her that she could still suck her thumb all day yesterday.
When it came time for a nap today, Lucy knew that she wouldn't be able to suck her thumb. She knew because the Dr. had a very serious talk with her and she knew that I had to enforce it. The worst part about this is that not sucking her thumb means not having Bunny Bear. Holding Bunny Bear's ear to her nose with her thumb in her mouth completely calms her down and sends her to a very happy place. I let her suck her thumb for 10 seconds and then she had to hand both Bunny Bears over to me. It was devasting. I laid down with her in her bed for about an hour. She would cry and then stop and then cry and then stop. It was so, so, so sad. At one point she sat up and said, "This is NOT easy! This is not fair! I want to suck my thumb and I want Bunny Bear!" I have been agreeing with her the whole time. It isn't easy and it isn't fair, but it's life. I ask her if she wants braces (she calls them shiny teeth), and she definitely does not. Plus, she knows that when someone wears braces that they can't have gum or popcorn. It's a Catch-22 for her. So Lucy didn't have a nap today. I told her she could have Bunny Bear at night. We're going to do this gradually. We'll take Bunny Bear away at night in January. This breaks my heart. I have tears in my eyes writing this. There is nothing Lucy loves more than her Bunny Bear and to take it away from her seems so cruel, but I know it's the right thing to do. We'll get through this, it's just going to be miserable for everyone.
Gus is fascinated with
Toy Story 2 right now, so I listen to it a lot in the car. The whole scene where Jessie gets donated and is no longer loved by her owner breaks my heart. I know toys don't come alive and they don't have feelings, but that movie is really getting to me. I've even thought about how sad this must be for Bunny Bear. How ridiculous is that? Bunny Bear has been a big part of our lives for a few years and now we're all having to give her up. It's a good thing we don't have pets. We'd be a mess!
No comments:
Post a Comment