Monday, August 22, 2011

The Summer

So, I'm really bad at New Year's resolutions and keeping up with the blog.

Lucy finished kindergarten with flying colors. We went to her end of school class party where all the students got awards based on what the teachers thought they would be when they grow up. Lucy got the First Lady Award, because she's always thinking of other people and trying to help people get along. We were so proud of her. I want her to be known for being kind.

We made a family summer to do list at the very beginning of summer:
See a movie (Cars 2)
Go to a museum (Schiele museum in Gastonia and Museum of Life and Science in Durham)
Go to a Braves Game (7/25 on Lucy's birthday)
Have a picnic (we went last Tuesday night with a picnic basket and blanket)
Go to the pool 7 days in a row (That was wicked hard. We went 7 times in 7 days, but hadn't gone 7 days in a row until the middle of August. We had to restart because of rain twice. We had to work for that one!)

School ended on a Friday and the following Monday we started swim lessons at our neighborhood pool for Lucy and Gus. For the first two week session, they were in the same class. Lessons were from 8:30 to 9:00am. In the second session, Lucy's lessons started at 8 and Gus' were at 8:30. We'd go Monday, Wednesday, Friday and then come home, take baths and head out to the gym.

Meanwhile, we decided to divide our bonus room upstairs. It was a huge playroom. It was so big that it just didn't seem functional. We got bids the beginning of June and work started July 5th and it took about two weeks. We put a wall up right down the middle, creating a guest bedroom and a windowless media room. The bedroom is a actually bigger than the other two bedrooms upstairs, and the media room is 11 1/2 feet by 16 1/2 feet. We are in love. It's amazing! It's so much more functional and so fun. I love having a media room! That's one thing I really missed from our old house. And I like this one a lot more.

In June, Judson got his 5th ear infection in 5 months. The Dr. recommended tubes, which we were hoping for. We got into the ENT right away and he had surgery on July 13th. He did great! Dave stayed at home with Lucy and Gus and I took Judson. We had to go to a surgery center in Raleigh. We got there at 6:30. Judson did not want to put the gown on. The nurses were great and didn't make him wear it. They gave him a mask and he loved it. I told him that he needed to go get the strawberry smell in the mask and he was super excited about it. The surgery took 10 minutes. The Dr. said he did great. I went to get him in the recovery room and he was happy as a clam with his little popsicle. We left the surgery center by 8:28 and we were home by 8:55. He was a little grouchy in the afternoon, but by the next day, he was perfectly fine. Five days later Judson's speech improved dramatically. He was saying "Gus" and "paci." Before he just said, "Guh and pah." The Dr. said he speech might improve, but I didn't expect it to, and boy has it! The kids talks and talks and talks all the time! He got a cold the end of July, I took him back to the ENT and asked about his ears. His ears looked great and he got over the cold within a week, which hasn't happened since last December! I was so grateful! I'm so glad we got the tubes.

The last full week of July, Lucy and Gus had VBS down in Apex from 9 to noon Monday through Friday. It was $10 per kid. That's honestly why I did it, and they got a little Jesus, too, which is always a good thing. They loved it. Loved, loved, loved it!

We took a little trip to Atlanta for Lucy's sixth birthday. That's for another post, though. It was wonderful.

When we came back we had nothing scheduled for the rest of August until the start of school. We had a few play dates scheduled and the rest of our summer to do list to finish up, but that's it. It's felt like a vacation the past few weeks. We all go to bed later, the kids are going to bed at 9, and we all get up later. It's wonderful. We're on our own version of island time. I like it. Tomorrow we meet Lucy's teacher and find out who is in her class. She starts school on Thursday. We're all ready to go. It's been a very full and fun summer.

No comments: