Friday, January 1, 2010

It's the Holidays!

Dave worked a half-day on Christmas Eve. We had Chinese with my parents for dinner and went to church. The kids were fighting colds and were completely drugged up on Benedryl, so they weren't nearly as active as they usually are. We came home and exchanged gifts with Ted and Darlene. We set out reindeer food on the front walk that Ms. Darlene made for the kids. We came in and set out the milk and cookies for Santa. The kids were so excited to go to sleep. I love that! Lucy had been really tired and I would find her randomly asleep, under the covers, in a bed throughout the day. On Christmas Eve she tucked herself into our bed and fell asleep while we brushed teeth. So sweet!

The magic of Christmas morning was amazing. It doesn't ever get old. I think I like Christmas more as a parent than I did as a kid. LOVE IT! All three of the kids were great about opening presents and sharing. It was the bike Christmas for Lucy and Gus. Dave and I felt like we were treading on sacred rite-of-passage ground as we (mainly Dave) were getting the bikes put together for the kids. We had our traditional Eggs Benedict breakfast and lounged around the house all day. It rained, so the kids couldn't ride their bikes, they just sat on them while they watched the movies they got for Christmas. We went to mom and Jim's for Christmas dinner and exchanged gifts with them.

We decided to go to Dave's parents house for a few days after Christmas. Dave had the week between Christmas and New Year's off, so we had the time, and not much to do. It was so great getting out of the greater Cary-uh and spending time with Dave's family! We left on Saturday and didn't come back until Tuesday night. That's the longest we've been away with three kids. We had such a wonderful time. The kids did great. Gus is always a bit feisty, but that's what makes him Gus. Lucy brought her dress-up clothes and had a fabulous time. Judson wanted to explore and get into everything, but that's just what nine month olds do. We went to Charlotte one day and ate at Firebirds and then went to the museum. So much fun. I LOVE my little family.

For New Year's we had bacon-wrapped scallops and made some risotto. The kids had turkey sandwiches. Dave and I played games. I took a nap between 11:20pm and 11:50pm. We got Lucy and Gus up for the countdown. They had orange juice and three M&Ms, while we had champagne. Gus has been grounded from orange juice since the end of November. He spilled an entire carton of OJ on the floor and then intentionally poured a cup on the floor in late November. He was thrilled to have OJ back! The kids went back to bed just fine. Lucy doesn't remember it too much, but Gus sure does.

2009 was a good year. Hopefully, we'll move in January. Lucy starts kindergarten in July. We won't have any more kids, that's for sure. It will be fun to see what will fill in the rest of the days of 2010. Here's to the adventures of 2010...

No comments: