
On Monday I checked the weather forecast and found out that we were supposed to get a few inches of snow on Tuesday. When it snows, or threatens to snow, everything here shuts down. So we ran to the store on Monday to get super stocked up on groceries, not knowing how long we'd be holed up in the house. I took both kids to the store with me and they were perfect! I love those moments.

We woke up Tuesday morning to a winter wonderland. It was so incredibly beautiful outside. I told Lucy on Monday that it was supposed to snow and she woke up ecstatic Tuesday when there was at least two inches of snow on the ground. She said over and over again, "I told you we would have snow! All sorts of weird animals will come out in the snow! Like in Elf!" When Buddy the Elf comes from the North Pole he sees animals that he's never seen before, so Lucy thought that would happen with her, too. She's never been out in the snow, so how would she know?

Gus was mesmerized with the falling snow. He went from window to window all day yelling, "NO!" He can't say his esses, so snow is no. He spent most of the day talking about the snow and watching the snow fall. He got his shoes and hat on at least five times and pulled at the door trying to "Pay NO!" (play in the snow!). He's never seen snow come down, so this was huge for him!

Everything did shut down here, as expected. Dave went into work. SAS made it optional, and he was able to go, so he went. He was also able to come home a bit early, which was nice. I didn't want to take the kids out by myself. I just pictured myself slipping and falling and being stranded like a beached whale. Then all I could think about was how Gus would run off and I'd be stuck and he'd be somewhere in the woods. So Dave took the kids out when he came home.

Lucy has talked for a good year and a half about making a snow angel and she finally got to do it! She made lots of them. So sweet! Gus couldn't quite grasp the concept. Lucy also wondered what snow tastes like. I told her she could eat snow as long as it wasn't yellow. She laughed. When I explained why, she was so grossed out. Then she told me that we can't eat brown snow "eater" (her version of either) because cows have brown poop. Ughhh. At least she got the concept: only eat bright white snow.

As soon as they went to play in the back of the house, Gus went for his baseball and golf club. It was too hard to get to the baseball bat, so he settled for the golf club. When we did highs and lows at dinner, his high was "pay basebah no!" (play baseball in the snow!). He had so much fun out there! Dave threw snowballs at him and he loved it!

Both kids went down the slide on the playset. Lucy cleared the big slide and the little slide. Gus was a bit more hesitant about it, but when he saw Lucy do it, he wanted to do it, too. Of course! We all had hot chocolate once they came in. I love that we had one really great day of snow, and probably won't have another one like it this year. The snow is very tolerable, even welcome, in such small doses!
No comments:
Post a Comment