Lucy's innocent, curious questions have continued. Luckily, it's just been with me and Dave. On Tuesday nights we have our Bible Study and my parents watch the kids. There's a babysitter at the group, but Gus didn't do too well last fall, so my parents watch both kids. We were telling Lucy that there was a new babysitter, a girl that she loves, and she asked, "Did she bwing huh shiny teef?" (Did she bring her shiny teeth?). The poor girl has braces and, clearly, Lucy noticed. Some of our friends just had a baby girl and named her Grace. When Lucy found out her name she said, "We have Gwace evuhwe night at dinnuh! Gwace a beautifuh name!" So she thinks they named their daughter after a prayer!
On Wednesday night both kids woke up after we put them to bed. Lucy got up first. Well, I don't think she ever went to sleep. Anyway, we heard Gus, too, and asked if she wanted to come with us to get him. I said, "Let's have a parade! Lucy, you can lead the parade to Gus' room." Lucy responded with, "Wet's go! Bourree! Bourree!" She took the lead with her hands above her head, walking quickly on her tip toes. She thought I said, "Bourree" instead of "parade." So we had bourree parade into Gus' room.
I am officially a North Carolina resident who can vote and drive! I've waited nearly three years to get my license. It seems ridiculous that I've waited this long. The whole thing seemed incredibly daunting. It also meant that I wasn't going back to Illinois, not that I want to go back, but it was just the last tie to be severed. When I lived in Texas and Maryland I kept my Illinois license, so I knew it would take me at least a year. I heard the test was super hard, I even know a few seasoned drivers who had to take it twice. And all the paperwork! And then the lines. And to even go jump through all those hopes meant that I had to drop the kids off at my parents house and drive over an hour round trip to make it all work. It just didn't seem important to me. Yesterday afternoon I got a wild hair and decided to study and take the test. I went this morning. I was a nervous wreck. I passed the test! My picture isn't too bad, either. It's a good thing, because it has to last for the next eight years. And the best part about the whole thing is that my weight isn't listed on my license. For that fact alone, I should have gone three years ago.
Friday, August 1, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment