Monday, May 14, 2012

Keeping Up

April was busy.  So busy that I fell asleep most night when Dave took Norm for a walk!  Here are some of the big events of the last six weeks:
I got sick the first week of April.  Dave caught the bug, too, and still volunteered for three of the five Easter services at church.  Lucy figured out the whole Easter Bunny thing and told Gus.  So we confirmed it with them and did not elaborate on any of the other characters like the tooth fairy or Santa.  We're hoping to hang on a bit longer.  I think that ship has sailed and we only have Judson left.  I cooked Easter dinner.  We had some friends and my mom over.
Judson turned three!  That seems impossible.  He had two of his friends over for a little party.  One of his friends has a basset hound named Fred.  She brought her basset hound to play with Norm.  We had worm in dirt cupcakes and played outside.  Judson was so excited to have his own little party with his friends.
Gus is playing t-ball.  He has a game every Saturday morning and a practice once a week.  He's definitely a newbie and having fun.  Last week at practice he was defending third base and was told to not let anyone get on base.  He took it literally and laid down over the base when a runner approached.  He did it to be funny.  It was funny.  Thank goodness it was just practice!
Dave and Lucy were a part of KidSpace at church again.  Lucy got to drive the Escalade across the stage and dance during the last song on stage.
Dave's job is going great.  He's traveling a little again.  A little travel is fun for everyone.
We had our third annul Cinco de Mayo party with our friends on the second of May.  Sometimes you gotta mix it up a bit.  And then had our fourth annual Kentucky Derby party with 18 people on May 5th.  I was baking up a storm there for a few days!  We had a great time!
I have all the curriculum for Lucy for next year and the lesson plans for the first couple of weeks are done.  We are so excited!  We start August 6th.
Mother's Day was so sweet.  Dave and the kids all had cards for me.  I love that they coming running in and jump into bed to give them to me.  We went to the Cheesecake Factory for brunch.
And the latest, craziest news, I have shingles.  That's right.  On Friday morning my neck was itching like crazy and there was a little dot.  By Friday night there were three dots that made a circle the size of a dime.  I ran 8 miles Saturday morning, took Lucy to ballet and jazz, and went to the Dr. in the afternoon.  She took one look at it and said, "You have shingles."  I wasn't too surprised.  That's what I google-diagnosed myself as having.  Crazy, though.  I have medicine that's slowing it down.  I've had more blisters come out, but none as bad as the first.  Hopefully it will all crust over soon and it will pass quickly.  I'm not running my half-marathon this weekend.  Apparently the sweat irritates the blisters and makes the blisters linger even longer.  It's not worth that.  It's painful, itchy, and gross.  Life still has to happen, that's the tough part about being a grown up.  Laundry, dishes, cleaning, cooking, and car pools still go on, shingles or no shingles.

No comments: