Monday, June 14, 2010

Memorial Day Weekend

The day after we found out Lucy would start school August 29th-ish instead of July 9th (translation: almost two whole months longer than the anticipated summer break with three little kids all day every day), I panicked. We booked a vacation in the beginning of August, I signed Gus up for summer camp, and called my in-laws to get on their calendar a few times over the summer. Getting out of town for a few days is a glorious thing.

When we go to Dave's parents house lots of fantastic things happen. My favorite thing is that the adults outnumber the kids. I'm used to having all three kids in my zone all day, so being man-to-man most of the weekend is like a big present with a bright red shiny bow. We get to visit with Dave's parents, aunt, uncle, cousin, and grandma. The food is AMAZING. I'd be happy if someone put peanut butter and jelly in front of my face, but the food they make for us is out of this world. And the change of scenary does wonders for me and the kids.

We got in late Friday night and left Monday afternoon. On Saturday we went to the Schiele museum and saw the pirate exhibit. The kids loved it! We had a great cookout on Saturday night. On Sunday we went to church with Dave's parents. It felt like date night for me, only in the morning, and it was at church. The childcare people were fantastic and kept our crying Judson through the Bible Study AND church. On Sunday night we went to Bonnie and David's for another spectacular meal. On Monday, I went out in the rain and caught a frog (really, I just used a plastic cup to put over the frog) so the kids could touch him. We got home late in the afternoon on Monday. I had all the laundry done by Monday night and ready to put away. The kids were happy to be at home and play with their toys. We all came back so refreshed. It was just what we needed.

No comments: